Erectile dysfunction and small penis size can affect relationships between partners. It causes anxiety, low self-esteem and confidence issues in men. Men often wonder, how do you grow your dick or how to increase penis size but due to lack of awareness many men bear the stigma of being bad in bed for their entire life. Premature ejaculation is also another common problem that can be frustrating for couples and can even threaten relationships.
Nitric oxide plays a significant role in male sexual enhancement. It is the key molecule that is responsible for erectile function. The decrease in nitric oxide production is one of the common causes of erectile dysfunction. Nitric oxide has many health benefits but in this article, we are focusing on the role nitric oxide plays in men’s sexual enhancement. Anything that improves true erectile health will also improve cardiovascular health.
Some Causes of Erectile dysfunction
- Lack of exercise
- Inactive lifestyle
- Alcohol and excessive tobacco usage
- Some medications
How nitric oxide helps in getting an erection?
One of the main physiological causes of impotence, or erectile dysfunction or less average penis length, is the inability of the blood vessels in the penis to dilate enough to allow blood flow and engorgement. The most important chemical involved in this process is nitric oxide. Nitric oxide helps boost the amount of blood flowing through the penis and causes the soft tissues to swell.
This initial burst of nitric oxide from the nerves in the penis triggers an erection; the blood vessels in the penis are responsible for releasing more nitric oxide to keep the erection hard. As soon as the blood starts flowing into the penis, no other sources in the blood vessels are triggered, hence releasing more nitric oxide, more tissue relaxes, more blood rushes in and a sustained erection is achieved.
Natural sources of nitric oxide
- For our bodies to produce Nitric Oxide, various nutrients and precursors are necessary which includes nitrates. Nitrates are found in many foods, particularly in green, leafy vegetable, artichokes, beets, and beetroot.
- We also get nitric oxide from an enzyme called nitric oxide synthase, whose function is enhanced by adequate testosterone levels.
- Testosterone plays a very important role in efficient nitric oxide production and releases from the blood vessel walls and thus better vasodilation, blood flow, and in the case of the penis, a firmer erection.
- Exercise is another major contributor to improving nitric oxide production.